Caltech parking permits are available to Institute personnel, students, affiliates, gym members, and JPL personnel. To register for a parking permit, please complete a permit application and bring the completed form to the Parking Office at 515 S. Wilson Avenue.
The following rates will be effective beginning January 1st, 2020
Commuter (General Parking) Permits $60 per month
- Commuter permits are valid only in commuter parking stalls. Commuter stalls are defined as any space that is not otherwise marked as carpool, reserved, handicapped, or visitor.
- Caltech staff, Post Docs, and faculty have the option of payroll deduction or payment by check on a quarterly or annual basis.
- Caltech students have the option of an automatic deduction from their student account or payment by check on a quarterly or annual basis.
- Campus affiliates that do not receive a paycheck from the Institute must pay by cash or check on a quarterly or annual basis.
- Credit Cards, Debit Cards, and Caltech ID cards are not accepted as forms of payment.
- To apply for a Commuter permit, please submit the Parking Registration Form.
Reserved Permit $120 per month
- Reserved permits are available to Caltech faculty, emeritus, staff, and students.
- Each Reserved Permit will be accompanied by a named parking space that is reserved for the exclusive use of the permit holder.
- Persons who qualify and opt for a reserved space have the option of payroll deduction or payment by check on a quarterly or annual basis.
- To apply for a Reserved permit, please submit the Parking Registration Form
Carpool Permits (Orange) $30 per month
- Carpool permits are available according to the following guidelines:
- Vehicles displaying a carpool permit must park in a designated carpool space.
- The cost is divided between the members of the carpool.
- To apply for a Carpool permit, please submit the Carpool Registration Form
- Motorcycles with an engine size of 150 CCs or greater must be registered with the Parking Office and display a valid Caltech motorcycle permit.
- Motorcycle permits are provided upon request with the purchase of a regular Caltech parking permit. Parking Registration Form
- Members of the Caltech community that use a motorcycle as their primary means of commuting to campus may qualify for the Low-Emitting vehicle discount
- Visitors are required to display a permit if their vehicle is parked on campus between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Visitor permits are available at automated pay stations at the following locations:
ο Structure #1 (North Wilson Structure)
ο Parking Lot #6 (Tournament Lot )
ο Structure #3 (California Structure)
ο Structure #4 (Holliston Structure)
- Visitor permits may be purchased at the following rates:
ο 1 hour permit: $3
ο 2 hour permit: $4
ο 3 hour permit: $6
ο 4 hour permit: $8
ο All day permit: $9
ο Weekly permit: $27
A $9 daily permit is valid through the end of the business day (5:00 p.m.) in which the permit is purchased.
Susan arrives on Tuesday at 10:00 a.m. and purchases a $9 daily permit. This permit is valid until 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday.
David arrives on Tuesday at 3:00 p.m. and purchases a two-hour permit. This permit is valid through the remainder of the business day on Tuesday.
William arrives on Tuesday at 3:00 p.m.. William is not familiar with the parking regulations and purchases a $9 daily permit. This permit is valid only until 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, and is not valid at any time on Wednesday.
- Visitor permits may also be pre-purchased in bulk through the Parking Office. Contact the Parking Office at (626) 395-8877 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Visitor permits are valid in the Commuter (General) parking stalls.
- Emeritus may purchase a Reserved Space Permit, a Commuter Permit, or a Carpool permit with a qualifying carpool partner.
- Emeritus may purchase Reserved or Commuter Permits at the following rates:
- Commuter Permits - $540 per year
- Reserved Permits - $900 per year
- Emeritus must pay by check on a quarterly or annual basis.
[Back to Top]
- Faculty or staff who are scheduled to work 20 hours per week or less are qualified to purchase a commuter permit at the reduced rate of $27 per month.
- The hours worked calculation includes time worked both on-campus and remotely.
- Part-time rates do not apply to Carpool or Reserved permits.
Low-Emitting and Fuel-Efficient Vehicles
- Members of the Caltech community may qualify to receive a 20% discount on their quarterly or annual parking permit if their primary vehicle is on the Qualified Vehicle List from the ACEEE.
- Caltech Community members that use a motorcycle as their primary means of commuting to campus also qualify for the discounted rate.
- Qualification for the discounted rate is determined by the Parking Office upon submission of the Low Emission Vehicle Form.
To cancel a parking permit, the permit must be returned to the parking office.
Individuals that wish to cancel their parking permit may do any of the following:
1) Return the permit by mail to the address below
2) Return the permit in person to the parking office at 515 S. Wilson Avenue (slip the permit under the door if we are not in)
3) Send a picture of the destroyed permit (cut into at least 4 pieces with the permit number still visible) to: email@example.com
Parking fees will not be refunded for unreturned permits.
California Institute of Technology
1200 E California Blvd.
Attn: Parking Office M/C 200-63
Pasadena, CA 91125