Guaranteed Ride Home
Get Home Safely in the Event of an Emergency
A common concern of those considering alternative transportation is what they will do in the case of illness or emergency. With Caltech's Guaranteed Ride Home program, you have a safe, free way of getting home when the unexpected happens.
What is Guaranteed Ride Home?
Under the Guaranteed Ride Home program, qualified participants can receive one free taxi ride home each quarter.
Who can use the Guaranteed Ride Home (GRH)?
To use GRH, you must:
- Be registered in a Caltech rideshare program
- Commute to work by carpooling, vanpooling, transit, bike, or walking
- Have an unscheduled event which causes you to need to the service
What is an unscheduled event?
- You or your carpool/vanpool partner needs to leave work early unexpectedly for personal situations (i.e.: being too ill to complete the work day, having a sick family member who needs your assistance during the day unexpectedly, etc...)
- You or your carpool partner/vanpool driver need to work mandatory unscheduled overtime so you can't take your normal commute mode home.
What events are not covered?
You cannot use GRH for any of the following reasons, including but not limited to:
- Personal errands
- Scheduled overtime
- Medical appointments
- Scheduled appointments
- A ride to work
- A trip to or from a medical facility
- Company wide emergencies or closures
- Business-related travel
- Vehicular failures
- Transportation system and/or provider closures or failures
All registered carpool and vanpool participants, participants in the transit subsidy program, and individuals who walk or bike to Caltech may receive a Guaranteed Ride Home at no cost once every three months.