Are you interested in a cheaper, less stressful way of getting to work?
Vanpooling is a great way to save money and help the environment!
What is Vanpooling?
Vanpooling is similar to carpooling, except there are more people involved. A vanpool is a group of 5 to 15 people who regularly commute together in a comfortable van, minivan, or SUV, usually from a distance of 15 miles or more. The van is leased through a rental company, and all the members of the vanpool share the cost of the lease.
How Much Does it Cost?
While the cost of a vanpool can vary, vanpool riders can save up to 70% in commute costs when switching from driving alone to vanpooling.* Caltech provides a monthly subsidy of $100 per rider, and Metro offers an additional $300 per month toward the cost of the lease.
How do I Join a Vanpool?
If you are interested in vanpooling, please contact Todd Swart in the Commuter Services office at email@example.com, or log in to CaltechRideshare.com to find Caltech vanpools in your area.
What if I Can't Ride in the Vanpool Every Day?
Each vanpooler qualifies for 6 free daily parking permits per month to use in the event that they need to drive their personal vehicle.
Are There Vanpools in My Area?
The map below shows the locations of the vanpools that commute to the Caltech campus.
Why Should I Vanpool?
- Save money - The average vanpooler in Southern California saves more than $1,500 a year on gas, car maintenance and wear and tear.
- Less Stress - Studies show that people who vanpool arrive at work relaxed and ready to start the day-more so than their co-workers who drive alone.
- Get to work faster - By utilizing carpool lanes, many vanpoolers reduce their commute by as much as 20 minutes each way.
- Cleaner air less smog
- More relaxed arriving at work
- More relaxed arriving home
- Make new friends
- Free reserved parking
- Caltech subsidy
- Metro subsidy
- Guaranteed ride home
- Lower insurance rates on personal car
- Use of carpool lanes
To put your name on our list of interested vanpoolers, please fill out the Vanpool Interest Form or email Todd Swart at firstname.lastname@example.org